Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Welcome Autumn

He waters the mountains from his upper chambers; the earth is satisfied by the fruit of his work. (Psalm 104: 13) 

I feel so thankful when I  look out my window and see the mountains bursting with hues of red, orange, and yellow. Fall has arrived on the scene once again. What a beautiful time of the year to reflect on our Heavenly Father and rejoice in the wonder of the world he created.

A walk outside reveals the faint aroma of wood smoke wafting through the valley. In the distance, I see smoke curling up from the chimneys of  homes snuggled in the mountainside. It conjures up images of families huddled in front of a fireplace warm and cozy.

And who can resist the flavors of fall? It's the season to savor the scent of vegetable soup, chili, or potato chowder simmering on the stove. I start thinking about pumpkin pies with whipped topping and thick slices of pumpkin bread spread thick with creamy frosting. It's the time of the year when the abundance of apples are transformed into apples pies, apple crisp, and plump apple dumplings drizzled with maple syrup. 

Aside from the tastes and scents of fall, it's beauty alone is a reason to celebrate the wonderful world God created. Autumn is only here for a short season before winter makes its appearance. If we aren't careful, we will miss it. This actually happened to me one year. I was busy with many things and did not slow down long enough to notice the changing of the leaves. One day I was driving home from work and the trees were bare. I felt sad, because I, somehow, had missed fall and all its splendor. 

I'm more careful now to savor each part of autumn and to thank God for the beauty surrounding me in the changing of the seasons.


 

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online